No one has favorited this theater yet
The Theatre Royal and Hippodrome opened in 1907, was designed as a live theatre by architect W.E. Knapman.
It burnt down in November 1909 and was re-built on a new site across the street, to the plans of Winship & Knapman. It has a red brick and stucco facade in a classical style, with a taller pedimented centre section. The theatre was equipped with an orchestral organ manufactured by Messrs Nicholson of Worcester. Famous actress Lillie Langtry appeared at the Theatre Royal in 1918. In 1929, it was converted into a cinema and re-named Royal Super Cinema. The auditorium seating was re-configured into stalls and a single balcony with a total capacity of 1,980. The proscenium was 40 feet wide, the stage was 25 feet deep and there were 12 dressing rooms. There was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons. In May 1940 it was closed and remained so until after the end of World War II. In the 1944 and 1947 editions of the Kine Yearbook, it notes that some re-building was occuring. A false ceiling was added and original decorative details were covered over. This included original decorations of painted scenes and trees being painted over and a new coved proscenium arch being built. Seating was now provided for 915.
In the 1980’s the circle was closed off and the screen brought forward. Then in the 1990’s a second screen was created in the former stalls. The two screens seated 300 and 233.
It was announced in late-February 2008, that the Theatre Royal was closing on 10th April 2008. There was strong local opposition to these plans, but they went ahead, the final film shown was Peter Sellers in “The Smallest Show On Earth”.
The Theatre Royal was demolished in August 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater