Avinguda del Parel.lel, 63,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in a district just south of the city centre. The Teatro Nuevo opened as live theatre on 19th June 1901. It screened its first films on 14th December 1907, but remained basically a live performace theatre.
The Teatro Nuevo was re-built and re-opened on 23rd May 1922 with a seating capacity of 1,002, still operating as a live theatre.
It was closed for a period of time, possibly because of the Spanish Civil War and World War II, and re-opened on 12th November 1948 with Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly in "Cover Girl". It then continued as a full-time cinema, known as Cine Teatro Nuevo.
In 1958 it was closed for conversion into a 3-projection Cinerama theatre, opening with "This Is Cinerama" on 10th December 1958. The seating capacity was given as 1,032 and it was re-named Cine Teatro Nuevo Cinerama. On the exterior, the left-hand side of the building was given a new modern look, but the remainder of the building kept its 1922 facade. The last of the 3-strip Cinerama films "How the West Was Won" opened here on 18th April 1963. The cinema was equipped to screen 70mm films from 2nd April 1966.
Major films played at the Cine Nuevo for several more years, including “Star Wars” and the seating capacity was increased slightly to 1,127. In it later days it specialised in action films, closing on 1st June 1986 with Tommy Lee Jones in "The Park Is Mine".
The building stood empty, with a sign across the entrance saying ‘Closed for Refurbishment’, but it never happened. The Cine Teatro Nuevo was destroyed by a fire on 18th May 1988, and its remains were demolished. In April 2008 a new apartment building was being constructed on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater