15 Market Place,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Grand Cinema opened on 1st June 1925 with "Zeebrugge" and was built for and operated by Arthur Gale & W.J. Repard. It was equipped with a 7 stop organ, by local organ builders T & L Jubb & Sons which was bought from a Scunthorpe chapel. In March 1928 the New Grand Cinema was taken over by Denman/Gaumont Theatres. A British Acoustic(BA) sound system was fitted in 1930, and it screened its first ‘talkie “Movietone Follies” on 1st May 1930.
It was re-named Gaumont in 1949 and was modernised in early-1954, reopening on 29 March 1954 with Edward G. Robinson in “The Glass Webb” and with film stars Joan Rice and Donald Sindon making personal appearances. Taken over by an independent operator on 1st May 1960 it was renamed Grand Cinema, but this was short lived as it was closed on 30th April 1961 with Spencer Tracy in “Judgement at Nuremburg”. It was converted into the town’s main Co-operative store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater