14 Boulevard de la Madeleine,
3 people favorited this theater
Located in central Paris, a short distance south west of the Opera House. The Madeleine Theatre was opened in 1918 as a cinema. It was designed by noted cinema architect Marcel Oudin and was considered one of the most luxurious cinemas in Paris at that time.
Seating was provided in orchestra and balcony levels and there were side slips on the balcony that went towards the proscenium which also contained seating.
By 1925 the Madeleine Theatre was operated by the American exhibitors Loew’s Inc. and they installed a Wurlitzer 2Manual/5Rank theatre organ in 1926. The Gaumont company had formed an alliance with Metro Goldwyn in 1925 and created a new film distribution company in France; GMG (Gaumont Metro Goldwyn). In 1927 the Madeleine Cinema was under the joint direction of Gaumont/Loew’s Metro.
In later years it was taken over fully by the Gaumont France chain and re-named Gaumont Madeleine. It was twinned in 1973 and continued to operate until 1978. It is now in retail use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater