Yue Man Square,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Silver Theatre was the first theatre to be built in Kwun Tong. Kwun Tong, a residential and industrial district in East Kowloon near the Kai Tak International Airport, was developed by the Hong Kong Government in the 1960’s.
The theatre was designed by architect Robert Fan [1893-1979], and opened to business on 7th September, 1963 with a Mandarin film. The 1,440-seat auditorium with a 52 feet wide screen and equipped with Simplex X-C projection and sound system is on the first floor of the four-storey theatre building, with ticket booths and lobby on the ground floor.
A home-made bomb exploded in the theatre on 1st October, 1964—the national day of the People’s Republic of China—one seat was broken and two patrons were injured with one seriously.
The licence of the theatre was revoked by the Hong Kong Government late at night on 14th June, 1967 for unlawful activities in the theatre. It re-opened on 23rd May, 1968 with a Mandarin film.
From 12th September, 1976 until 18th September, 1976, the theatre suspended business temporarily for the mourning of the death of Chairman Mao of the People’s Republic of China.
In 1990, the theatre was twinned and re-opened in April, with one screen in the stalls and the other on the balcony. In the early 2000’s, the screen in the stalls was closed with the one on the balcony remains. The stalls section of the theatre was converted into shops.
As the theatre building is within the re-development zone of Kwun Tong, its days were numbered, and it was closed on 9th July 2009. It was demolished in 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater