Kwun Chung Theatre
Yau Ma Tei,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The pre-WWII Kwun Chung Theatre was situated at the junction of Jordan Road and Canton Road in Yau Ma Tei on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong.
According to the 1930 Hong Kong Government Administrative Report, the construction work of the theatre building completed in 1930 and the theatre probably opened to business at an unknown date in the same year or early 1931.
In April 1931, according to news report and advertisement published by a Chinese language newspaper, the theatre had been equipped with a local designed “Kavitone” sound system for showing dubbed Chinese silent movies as an expedient and inexpensive way of showing talkies in the early era of talking movies.
It was a neighourhood theatre and showed selected films until its closure on 10th August, 1939. The theatre building was demolished and the site of the theatre became part of a park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater