372-378 Stratford Road, Sparkbrook,
2 people favorited this theater
Built on the site of the Picturedrome (1913-1929), the Piccadilly Super Cinema opened on 22nd May 1930 with Norma Shearer in "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney". It was designed by noted cinema architect Harold Seymour Scott. Built for and operated by the independent Hockley Picture House Company Ltd. The Piccadilly Super Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/10Rank theatre organ which was opened by Harold Stringer.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) on 22nd October 1936. During World War II, the rear of the cinema was damaged in a German bombing raid which destroyed the nearby Waldolf Cinema. The architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts were brought in to supervise repairs to the Piccadilly Super Cinema.
It was re-named ABC Sparkbrook in 1961. The ABC closed on 2nd March 1974 with David Essex in "That’ll be the Day" and Roger Moore in "The Man Who Haunted Himself". It was converted into a bingo club, last operated as a Zetters Bingo Club.
It re-opened as an Asian cinema which was named Dreamland Cinema, then lay empty for several years until it became a bingo club again in 1981.
The Piccadilly Cinema was divided into three screens and re-opened on 6th January 1995, screening Asian ‘Bollywood’ films, which continues today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater