ABC Forest Hill
11-21 London Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in the southeast London district of Forest Hill. Designed in a Neo-Classical style, the Capitol Cinema was built in 1928-9 for London & Southern Cinemas and designed by noted cinema architect and garden designer John Stanley Beard.
It opened on 11th February 1929 with John Gilbert in “Man, Woman and Sin”. As the cinema was designed for silent movies, sound equipment had to be installed soon after opening. It originally had a Compton 2Manual/8Ranks theatre organ which was opened by organist Edgar Peto. There was also a café for the convenience of patrons. The stage was 22 feet deep and with three dressing rooms it allowed for variety shows to be staged.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from July 1933 and they operated it for the remainder of its cinematic life.
Occasional variety shows were part of the programming in the 1950’s and the Compton organ was played until it was removed in the late-1950’s.
It was re-named ABC in December 1968 and closed on 13th October 1973 with Gene Hackman in “Scarecrow” and Gary Grimes in “Class of ‘44”. The building stood empty for several years until it was leased to Mecca Ltd. and opened as a Mecca Bingo Club on 23rd February 1978. Last operated as a Jasmine Bingo Club, bingo ceased in December 1996 when the Jasmine chain were made bankrupt. The building again stood empty and unused.
It re-opened on 9th May 2001 as part of the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs and is now called “The Capitol”. In September 2014, it was announced that J.D. Wetherspoon were planning to close the Capitol pub. It was closed in June 2014 and the building was put up ‘For Sale’. Wetherspoon’s re-opened the pub by October 2017.
The Capitol is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater