2 Star Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Commodore Cinema opened in August 1936. Ryde is the largest town on the island, and the Commodore was the largest cinema built on the island, having a seating capacity of 1,507 in stalls and circle levels. It was operated as an independent cinema by Ryde Cinemas. It was fitted with full stage facilities and there was a cafe and a ballroom inside the building.
In 1962 it was acquired by Isle of Wight Theatres Ltd, and then in October 1965 was taken over by the Star Cinemas circuit of Leeds. They sub-divided the building into a bingo club in the former stalls area and a twin-screen cinema in the former circle, each seating 184. The ballroom was converted into Screen 3, which has a seating capacity of 176. It was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon. The 3-screen Cannon was closed in September 1987, but the bingo club remained open.
Ten years later, the cinema section was taken over by Peter Walker and re-opened on 11th December 1997 as the Picturedrome. It was then operated by the independent chain Reeltime Cinemas. It continues today operated by Leo Leisure, as does the Cascade Bingo Club in the former stalls area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater