1 person favorited this theater
The Picturedrome (Official)
Architects: P. Norman Brown
Previous Names: Holme Valley Theatre, Valley Theatre
An original silent movie theatre built in 1912 and opened on 1st March 1913 as the Holme Valley Theatre. The Holmfirth Picturedrome is sited in the middle of the small Yorkshire town of Holmfirth.
The cinema itself is quite plain with a barrel vaulted pressed tin ceiling and a few decorative plaster mouldings recently restored. It closed as the Valley Theatre on 16th September 1967 and became a bingo club.
Re-opening as a cinema again in November 1998, it was closed on 15th March 2007. The Picturedrome was re-opened due to public protests on 25th January 2008 with “Atonement”. The former balcony area became a postcard museum for a while. The stalls area now has removable seating, to allow for other events, such as pop & rock concerts, although films are still programmed.
The town itself is more famous for its association with the long-running BBC TV comedy series "Last of the Summer Wine".
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.