91 Marshfield Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Astoria Cinema opened on 22nd May 1939 with Robert Donat in “The Citadel”. It was independently operated. Designed in an Art Deco style by noted Bristol based architect W.H. Watkins, the frontage was a single storey in height, the the main auditorium block rising behind. Seating in the auditorium was provided for 1,018 in stalls and circle levels. There were decorative grilles on the splay walls each side of the 42 feet wide proscenium arch, and there was a small stage.
In the 1960’s it was taken over by the Star Cinemas circuit of Leeds. It was re-named Studio Cinema and was later twinned as Studios 1 & 2, with two 215 seat screens in the former circle area and bingo club operating in the former stalls area. In the late-1970’s it was taken over by the Cannon Group and re-named Cannon. This lasted until 1994 when it was purchased by Picturedrome Theatres and reverted back to its original name Astoria Cinema. It is now operated by Reel Cinemas, UK.
In August 2009, the independently operated Angel Bingo Club downstairs was suddenly closed. Reel Cinemas announced plans that the space would be converted into an additional three screens and that the entire building would be renovated. Construction work on the three new screens began in May 2018 with a completion date of 28th August 2018. The new total seating capacity for the 5-screen cinema will be 552.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater