1900 5th Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Seattle’s 5th Orpheum Theatre was built in 1927, opening on August 28, 1927 with headline Orpheum vaudeville and on screen Rod La Rocque in “The Fighting Eagle”. It had a large neon rooftop sign. It was a project of the Orpheum Circuit and was equipped with a Wurlitzer organ, 3 manual, 13 ranks Style 335 ‘Special’ Opus 1674. It was closed for almost a year during the Depression, and was reopened by John Hamrick as a movie house under his Evergreen State Amusement Co. During the 1940’s and into the 1950’s it was home to the Seattle Symphony orchestra. In the early-1960’s the stage was bricked off from the main house and it became a movie theatre once again. Sterling purchased the Orpheum Theatre in 1964. It closed May 9, 1967 with a triple-bill program “Mondo Cane”, “Bad Girls Do Cry” and “Mau Mau”.
On June 27, 1967 the contents of the theatre, including the Wurlitzer organ, were auctioned off and on August 6, 1967 demolition began. It took 10 weeks to raze the building.
A Westin Hotel now occupies this site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater