Golden Mile Plaza Theatre
1806-1880 Eglinton Avenue East,
2 people favorited this theater
The Golden Mile Theatre opened its doors on October 14, 1954 at 6:45pm for it’s first features "Up In Arms" starring Danny Kaye and "Our Very Own" starring Anne Blythe & Farley Granger.
It was located near the east end of the Golden Mile Plaza, intersection of Eglinton Avenue East and Pharmacy Avenue.
When opened the theatre was advertised to have a modern refreshment bar, luxurious air-foam seats, scientific air conditioning, spacious lounges, smoking loges, CinemaScope and last but not least, hearing aids.
Originally one large theatre, it was renovated in 1978 to provide two theatres, to the plans of architect Mandel Sprachman.
The Golden Mile Theatre was one of the last businesses operating in the plaza before it was redeveloped.
The Golden Mile Plaza, an entire block of businesses (the retail showpiece of Scarborough when it opened in 1953) was demolished and replaced with a Loblaws Supercentre development in the early-1990’s.
The SuperCentre building remains as of this posting, July 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater