Vue Leamington Spa
4 people favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema opened on 14th September 1931 with Owen Nares in "The Middle Watch". Designed by architect Horace G. Bradley of Birmingham, externally it was given an Art Deco style. There were two entrances, one on Dormer Place and another for the rear seats on Portland Place. The original seating capacity was for 1,305 on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear, rather than an overhanging balcony. The proscenium was 45 feet wide and on each side of its opening were two back-lit, coloured glass, surreal style dragons, adding to the Oriental style of the auditorium. The Regal Cinema was equipped with a Barbieri 3Manual/6Rank organ which was opened by Frederick Jukes. It is thought that this was the only British cinema installation of this Italian made instrument. The organ was removed in 1955 when CinemaScope was installed. An additional facility was a cafe, located in the foyer. In November 1936, the Regal Cinema was taken over by the Stratford Picture House Co. Ltd. they were part of the Clifton Cinemas chain.
The Regal Cinema was equipped for 70mm presentations in December 1969, re-opening with Ron Moody in "Oliver". It was at this time that the main entrance on Dormer Place was removed and an office building erected in its place, a new entrance was built on Augusta Place and the former rear seating entrance on Portland Place was bricked up and subsequently demolished.
In January 1993, Apollo Leisure Ltd. purchased the Regal Cinema and they submitted plans to to create a new screen out of the 1969-built office space. This opened on 19th April 1996 with 144 seats. The original main auditorium was tripled in July 1996, with two screens converted from the sides of the raised stepped area and the other using the former front stalls and these three screens were served from the original projection box. In 2000, two additional screens were built by expanding out into the car park. Seating capacities in the 6-screens are now: 286, 174, 117, 96, 116 and 109. In 2014 it was taken over by Vue.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater