Space Cinema Moderno
Piazza della Repubblica 43-45,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the Piazza della Repubblica in a stylish colonnaded terrace building that originally contained the Galleria Estada (today the Estada Hotel). The Cinematografo Moderno & Cinematografo Modernetto were the first purpose built cinemas to open in Rome. They were twin screens, located side-by-side, each seating 300 on a single level. They opened in 1907 under the direction of Italian cinema pioneer Filoteo Alberini.
Beautifully decorated in a Beaux Arts style, with painted ceilings containing cherubs, the twin screens were the prime city centre cinemas in the city for many years.
In the 1970’s and 1980’s, they went over to screening adult porn films. It wasn’t until the early-2000’s that they were revived by the Warner Village chain. Three more screens have now been added in adjoining space in the building. One screen is dedicated to screening films in original language versions and the cinemas now show first run mainstream films. Some original decorative artwork from 1907 is still visible in the foyer areas and in the ceiling of screen 4.
In 2009, it was taken over by the Space Cinema chain
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater