765 Granville Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Firms: Sharpe & Thompson
Previous Names: Vancouver Opera House, Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver Theatre, International Cinema, Cinema
The Canadian Pacific Railway built the Vancouver Opera House and was opened on February 9, 1891. It was adjacent to the first Hotel Vancouver on Granville Street between Robson Street and Georgia Street with 2,000 seats.
The first performance Wagner’s Lohengrin by touring group Emma Juch Grand English Opera Company. Sarah Bernhardt had also arrived and appeared in FÃ©dora and “La Tosca”. CPR owned this theatre until 1909.
In 1913, it was taken over by the Orpheum Circuit and was refurbished to be renamed the Orpheum Theatre on March 17, 1913 with vaudeville. This would be the 2nd theatre in the city to grace this name. (The first being the old Alhambra Theatre). It was briefly called the Vancouver Theatre, then following renovations and removal of the gallery seating area by architectural firm Sharpe & Thompson, it reopened as the Lyric Theatre from July 26, 1935 with Neil Hamilton in “Two Heads on a Pillow” on the screen plus 5-acts of vaudeville on the stage. It became the International Cinema on December 25, 1947 and was renamed Cinema in 1949 before reverting to the Lyric Theatre on November 6, 1964. It was closed March 23, 1969 and demolished later in 1969.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.