Alpine Theater

107 Pine Street,
Punxsutawney, PA 15767

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm

From Boxoffice magazine, May 1941:

PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA.-Alpine Theater has been acquired by Warner Brothers Circuit Management Corp. Transfer is from Harry Batastini. The Alpine was an independent theater, not affiliated with a circuit operated under that name. Warner has the Jefferson here which is managed by Mrs. Marietta McCartney.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on August 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Punxsutawney’s Past:

The second theater operating during this time was the Alpine Theater, built by F. E. Hewitt and opened December 19, 1919. The Alpine was a one story red-brick building located on Pine Street, near the post office. The theater suffered damage during the flood of 1936 and afterwards had a rather unstable operation, with increasingly intermittent openings until it closed in the 1960’s. The theater, although once as popular, never reached the notoriety and success that the Jefferson did during the fifties, despite being operated by the Warner Brothers' Corporation.