No one has favorited this theater yet
First opened in 1919 as a music hall and theatre. In 1924, it was converted into a full time cinema and named Cinedrome. It was operated by independent exhibitor William Edgar Pope. Through an entrance at street level, there are stairs leding to the foyer and auditorium, which are located on the first floor. Seating was provided for 275 on a single floor and the proscenium was 18 feet wide. The decorations include sconces containing up-lighting and cherubs looking down on the audience along the side-walls. There was a cafe in the building and shop units at ground floor level.
During World War II in the early 1940’s, it was taken over by a new operator and re-named Regal Cinema. In 1947 it was taken over by the current operator; R.W. Williams, WTW Cinemas and the cinema reverted back to the name Cinedrome. Part-time bingo was introduced in the 1960’s and the building became the Capitol Cinema, screening mainly (X) certificate films into the 1970’s.
Re-named Cinedrome since 1997, today it plays films several weeks after their initial release. It tends to only open in summer months and holiday weekends. It has been completely renovated, 153 new luxury seats installed, also a new larger screen, and is equipped with Dolby Digital Stereo Sound.
In 1999, English Heritage designated the Cinedrome a Grade II Listed building, but this was successfully appealed against, by the owner and the building was de-listed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater