ABC Higher Blackley
Victoria Avenue East,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Victoria Avenue Cinema opened in August 1932. It was located on the corner of Victoria Avenue East and Rochdale Road in Higher Blackley, a district to the North-East of Manchester city centre.
It was an imposing building with a square tower feature set on each side of the central entrance. Inside the auditorium, all seating was on a single floor. The painted murals on the side-walls depicting garden scenes and painted clouds on the ceiling were the work of decorative artist Sherwood-Edwards. It was equipped for pictures and variety and had a proscenium 42 feet wide, a stage 50 feet wide and six dressing rooms.
Initially an independently operated cinema, it was re-named Avenue Cinema in 1940. It was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain on 30th October 1955 and re-named ABC from 13th January 1964.
Closed on 31st March 1973, it was converted into a bingo club. This closed in 1985 and the cinema was demolished later that year.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater