300 W. Lafayette Boulevard,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Cass Theater, Summit Cinerama Theatre, Pandora Theater
News About This Theater
- Mar 31, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Mar 17, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 22: Detroit)
The Cass Theater opened as a legitimate theater September 12, 1926. It was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp who designed a great number of New York City’s Broadway theaters.
In 1965, it was renamed the Summit Cinerama Theatre as Detroit’s second Cinerama house after the Music Hall. It also received a complete facelift by Drew Eberson, son of John Eberson, who designed Detroit’s (now demolished) Grand Riviera Theatre.
However, unlike the Music Hall’s policy of a Cinerama-only program, the Summit Theater also featured 35mm features as well, such as a long run of "Darling" in 1965 (the same year it screened such Cinerama hits as "Circus World" and "Battle of the Bulge").
After just a couple of years, the Summit Theater dropped Cinerama, and became one of the first major downtown houses to switch to pornographic features. It closed in 1971.
Not long after that, it reopened once again, this time called the Pandora Theater, screening Greek-language films, as well as the occasional 70mm re-release.
By the mid-1970’s, it was shuttered again, and was demolished in 1977.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.