Electric Palace Cinema

King's Quay Street,
Harwich, C012 3ER

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

Electric Palace Cinema

One of the oldest operating cinemas in the United Kingdom, the Electric Palace opened on 29th November 1911 with a seating capacity of 380, all on a single floor. The paybox is centrally located in the entrance on the street and is flanked by doors which lead straight into the auditorium, there is no foyer. Originally, there was a seperate entrance located down an alley at the side of the building for the cheap seats in the front stalls. There was a stage and dressing rooms.

It was re-named Palace Cinema in 1913, but by the mid-1930’s had reverted back to the name Electric Palace Cinema. It closed in 1956, after television nearly killed off this venerable picture palace. It then sat empty, unused and virtually forgotten.

The Electric Palace was nearly demolished in 1975, but was spared and volunteers reopened it in 1981.

It is open today thanks to the generosity of public and private funds and its dedicated group of volunteers. Performances are held on Friday evenings, and matinee & evenings on Saturday and Sunday.

The Electric Palace Cinema is a Grade II* Listed building.

Contributed by Cinema Treasures, Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 2, 2006 at 12:35 am

Here is a photo of the Electric Palace Cinema.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on November 14, 2006 at 3:55 pm

This is a recent photo of the Electric Palace Cinema and a close-up of the entrance is here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 22, 2008 at 5:15 pm

A 2007 photo can be seen here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm

This is another photo of the Electric Palace Cinema.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater