12 W. North Avenue,
6 people favorited this theater
Architects: Thomas N. Scott
Previous Names: New Garden Theatre
News About This Theater
- Nov 13, 2007 — Pittsburgh Garden Theater headed toward landmark status
- Apr 13, 2007 — Community taking suggestions for the Garden
- Feb 21, 2007 — City of Pittsburgh to take possession of Garden Theater
The Garden Theatre opened on October 12, 1914, and was designed by Thomas N. Scott. It has a graceful, Beaux-Arts style terra cotta facade.
When it first opened, it was called the New Garden Theatre, to distinguish it from an earlier theater of the same name.
After decades as a first and second-run neighborhood house, it switched to adult films in 1972.
Since the late-1990s, the city government had been trying to seize the property and shut it down, as part of a rehabilitation of neighborhood.
The Garden Theatre was finally closed in March of 2007, the last remaining porn theater in Pittsburgh. With the Garden Theatre’s closure, there are hopes that the theater can be reborn as a concert hall or other live entertainment venue.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.