Washington Street and S. Beach Boulevard,
Bay Saint Louis,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built in 1894 as a dry goods store. In 1921 until 1930 it became the Bay St. Louis Yacht Club and then a nightclub. The Ortte’s Theatre opened in 1942. It was operated by Ed Ortte who was a co-owner of two theatres, the Gulf Theatre and the Legion Theatre in Gulfport, Mississippi. The theatre was located at 300 S. Beach Boulevard on the beachfront accross from the American Legion Hall. It was a red brick building.
In 1955 its name was changed to the Star Theatre. The Star Theatre was always operated as an independant theatre and its last owner fought to try and keep his theatre open. He finally closed the Star Theatre in 1984 and it was converted to the Big E Grocery. It retained the marquee and the box office and the two entrance doors on each side of it until Hurricane Katrina demolished the building in 2005. The site is now a empty lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater