49 Peter Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened September 29, 1845 and designed by Messrs. Irwin & Chester, the interior was reconstructed by Edward Salomons in 1875. It operated as a live theatre until 1921 when films were introduced, and quickly took over. It was taken over by the J.F. Emery Circuit in 1924 and was the second city cinema to install sound in January 1929. The J.F. Emery Circuit departed from the building in 1930.
Major changes were made to the theater to allow cinema use — the three balconies were removed and replaced by two new balconies and the stage was also moved back and largely incorporated into the auditorium. However the interior was still very rich with a particularly elaborate proscenium arch and the original sumptuous ceiling (with similarities to that of Covent Garden, London) survived.
3D was intoduced in 1953 and in 1963 the seating capacity was reduced to 1,000 when the Theatre Royal was converted to Manchester’s only Cinerama theater. A huge screen measuring 65 feet by 28 feet was installed. But, as elsewhere, the lack of new Cinerama films took its toll, and in 1972 it closed and became a bingo hall.
After bingo vacated the building it became a disco named Royale and has recently had a major revamp. As it is a Grade II Listed building, much of the interior survives.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater