49 Haddon Avenue,
17 people favorited this theater
The 1,600-seat Westmont Theatre opened on September 5, 1927 with Lon Chaney in “The Unknown”. Every Sunday a 120-piece orchestra performed along with what may have been the largest organ in New Jersey at the time. It cost $25,000 and was manufactured by the Lenoir Organ Company of Philadelphia, headed by Benjamin F. Lenoir. The opening organist was Monroe Hilbert.
By 1941 the Westmont Theatre had been taken over by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. and was listed as (Closed). The theatre remained closed during World War II, but reopened in 1949 when it was renovated into a 1,200-seat first-run movie house.
The theatre was part of the Milgram chain and was then known as the Westmont Theatre.
According to the Courier-News, “Steven Spielberg, who lived in Haddon Township and attended Edison Elementary School in Haddon Township when his father worked at RCA in Camden, credits seeing "The Greatest Show on Earth” at the Westmont Theatre in 1952 at age five as what inspired him to become a director."
The Westmont Theatre closed in 1979 and reopened as a twin later that year.
It was later purchased by Raymond Posel, who owned/owns a number of theatres in the Philadelphia area. Unfortunately, this Posel house only lasted until 1986.
The theatre was bought by the township in 2000 for $250,000.
Today, the theatre seats only 300 – the balcony, hidden by a false ceiling, is used to store costumes.
The February 27, 2008 Courier-Post reported that Haddon Township is looking for a new developer to reopen the Westmont Theatre. There is also concern about the marquee, which may be removed.
In July 2012, the nonprofit Friends of the Westmont were encouraged by a report commissioned by Haddon Township, by DF Gibbons Architects of New York City, which determined that it would cost $3.1 million to refurbish and restore the Westmont Theatre so it would be ‘close to its original state’. It was converted into a Planet Fitness gymnasium in 2016.
The Westmont Theatre was listed on the New Jersey Registry of Historic Places on July 8, 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater