Lyric Opera House
130 W. Mount Royal Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Lyric Opera House (Official)
Architects: Henry Randall
Functions: Opera House
Previous Names: Lyric Theatre, Music Hall
Opened as the Music Hall on Halloween Night in 1895 with a performance by Dame Nellie Melba and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The theatre was designed after the Gewandhaus in Leipzig. It was not designed for motion pictures but did fill in with them during slow times, especially during the early part of the 20th Century.
The name was changed to the Lyric Theatre in October 1903, and it reverted back to Music Hall some time later. It became the home of the Baltimore Opera Company and they went out of business in 2009. The theatre was taken over by a new group with launched in 2009, Lyric Opera Baltimore, which continues to do well. The building is now the Model Performing Arts Center at the Lyric Theatre.
The theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.