Lacey Street Theatre
504 Second Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Lathrop Co., Wometco Theatres
Architects: Benjamin Marcus Priteca
Functions: Museum, Special Events
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Opened on January 25, 1940 with Joan Crawford in “Ice Follies”, the Lacey Street Theatre was built and operated by local businessman “Cap” Lathrop, who built much of downtown Fairbanks. The Lacey Street Theatre was designed by architect B. Marcus Priteca and in a Streamline Moderne style, and continued to operate for over four decades. It was closed by Wometco Theatres in 1980.
It now is home to the Fairbanks Ice Museum and also Ice Alaska and Freeze Frame.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 5 comments)
Here is another photo:
The proprietor of the Lacey Street Theatre (now the Ice Museum) acquired the original Kimball(?) theater pipe organ from the Empress Theater (now converted to shops) down the street, and has it in storage upstairs at the Ice Museum.
What a place to have a movie theatre or whatever—right next door to a college campus. Too bad that the Lacey Street Theatre is no longer at least USED as a theatre on occasion.
Lacey Street Theatre building in the background of a 1958 photo, added courtesy of the AmeriCar The Beautiful Facebook page.
Opened on January 25th, 1940. Grand opening ad posted. Closed by Wometco in 1980.