Ideal Theatre

1408 Main Street,
Fort Worth, TX 76102

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 2 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on January 4, 2015 at 4:04 am

Andrew Zucarro operated the Venice Theater two blocks away and decided to build a new fireproof theater. The Queen Theater launched on May 20th, 1913 showing “The Stars and Stripes Forever.” Zucarro was jailed at least three times while operating the theater. Once for opening on Sunday which wasn’t allowed by the city of Fort Worth and twice for showing films that were banned by the film censor board. Andrew Zucarro operated it for five years possibly on a five-year lease before changing hands in 1918. William Capps took on the theater for four years.

The theater appears to close for a period of time and is acquired by the Ideal Theater group which was founded in 1922. They would change the name to the Ideal Theater whose name appeared on the marquee until the theater’s closure on March 30, 1960 and demolition thereafter. It boasted a mirror screen, the only one south of St. Louis installed for a cost of $10,000.

jamestv
jamestv on July 14, 2014 at 12:40 am

Torn down in the mid-‘60’s to make way for the Fort Worth Convention Center and the Water Gardens. Most of Fort Worth’s early movie theatres were on Main St. between 9th and Lancaster.