69 Drive-In

Old Highway 69 and E. 1090 Road,
Checotah, OK 74426

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Nearby Theaters

69 Drive-In

A typical outdoor theatre, the 69 Drive-In served the movie entertainment needs of Checotah residents since opening on September 23, 1950. Since Connors State College and popular Lake Eufala are nearby it also got a nice share of students and tourist too. It was still open in 1966. It has since been demolished.

Contributed by Cactus Jack

Recent comments (view all 17 comments)

jwmovies
jwmovies on August 31, 2012 at 2:02 am

According to Google Maps, approx. location is now Old Highway 69 & E 1090 Rd in Texanna.

Robert Allen
Robert Allen on November 24, 2013 at 7:16 pm

The 69 has been demolished.

jwmovies
jwmovies on February 20, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Correction: The cross streets are Hwy 69B and e 1900 Rd. per Google Maps.

Please update.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on August 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm

“Busy as a cranberry merchant was Dick Crumpler at Checotah. He operates the Gentry there as was getting ready to reopen his 69 Drive-In. Several weeks ago during a high wind, his screen tower was blown back to about a 45-degree angle. He is busy getting it back in shape and has repainted the tower and the surrounding fence, as well as the concession stand in a bright pink.” — Boxoffice, April 18, 1960

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on August 19, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Poor Dick Crumpler. “A tornado in eastern Oklahoma demolished Dick Crumpler’s 69 Drive-In, Checotah. Dick also operates the downtown Gentry and is serving as city manager of Checotah. We have not learned whether he will be able to reopen the 69 Drive-In this season.” — Boxoffic, Aug. 8, 1960

50sSNIPES
50sSNIPES on July 21, 2020 at 2:54 pm

The 69 Drive-In Opened On September 23rd, 1950. In July 1960, The Theater Is Destroyed By Severe Storms But Was Later Rebuilt And Reopened. It Is Still In Operation Since 1966.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on February 26, 2021 at 4:30 am

Dick Crumpler, J.P. Jones, and Harvey Griffith launched the 69 Drive-In on September 28, 1950 with Anthony Quinn in “Black Gold.” It was McIntosh County’s first o-zoner. The second iteration of the 69 Drive-In closed with the Nov. 1, 1974 showing of Michael Caine in “Sleuth.”

dansdriveintheater
dansdriveintheater on February 26, 2021 at 8:48 am

this one has long since been demolished! please update!

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on April 12, 2021 at 11:54 am

Okmulgee Daily News, July 26, 1950: “Construction work on a drive-in theater to be erected one mile south of Checotah on the Harvey Griffin farm will start within the next two or three weeks, it has been announced. J. P. Jones and Jack LeMasters of the Cozy theater, Dick Crumpler of the Gentry theater and Harvy Griffin will be the owners of the new enterprise … The theater will be operated under the name of "66 (sic) Drive-In theater.” A playground for children to be located inside the theater will be a novel feature of the new movie house."

Kenmore
Kenmore on April 12, 2021 at 2:03 pm

A closer address is E 1090 Rd & Old Hwy 69, Checotah, OK. The address currently listed has E 1900 which is not correct.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.