Rue de Tamines 20-22,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in 1937 by the Rahm circuit in the Saint Gilles district. Initially the programming was all family, in the late-1930’s(1939) “The Adventures of Robin Hood” with Errol Flynn and Disney cartoon’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” were shown.
By the 1950’s, the programming was more adult or better intelectual with mostly French movies, while the Bristol Cinema and Elysee Cinema on the near by Chaussee de Waterloo showed blockbusters. An example in 1958 was “La Chatte” with Francoise Arnoul, a spy story of World War II, the best memories being the main actress in a black vinyl trench coat.
The Dixy Cinema stayed open until 1974. One of the last films was Claude Chabrol’s “Wedding Blood”(Les Noces Rouges). It became a supermarket for a long time. The nice entrance in Art Moderne style is still intact and there were plans from the Town Hall to renovate the building. Sadly, not for cinema use, as in early 2011, the building was converted into apartments.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater