Farr Best Theater

109 N. Main Street,
Mansfield, TX 76063

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Farr Best Theater ... Mansfield Texas

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened on October 10, 1917 by Milton May (M.M.) Farr who came to Mansfield in 1917 and became one of the citys' most prominent citizens. He oversaw the installation of the first electric lights in the city, and a water system which was modern for times. He named the theatre the Best Farr Theatre and it has been run by M.M. and Annie Farr and their 9 kids for 58 continuous years.

The Farr Theater ran silent movies till 1929 when talking movies hit the market. Enlarged in 1936 to double the seating to 200.

The all time highest grossing movie was "Gone With The Wind" in 1939 & 1940. It operated as the Farr Theatre until at least 1943, and by 1950, was known as the Farr Best Theater.

The theatre was sold in 1975 after the death of Roy Farr to Charlotte Martin and was operated as the Old Bijou Theatre until 1978.

St. John’s Lutheren Church was housed inside the theatre for 10 years before Main Street Theatre Inc. bought the building in 1988.

Today the theatre is operated by Main Street Theatre Inc, a 501©3 non-profit organization, producing Main Street Film Festival and Screenings, along with live entertainment.

The theatre also hosts shows like Mansfield Opry, a showcase of rising talent in the Dallas Fort Worth area as well as smash Broadway hit musicals, "Grease","The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" and "Damn Yankees".

The Farr Best Theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic places on September 12, 1996.

Contributed by Tim Eaton

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

sabumnim
sabumnim on March 5, 2007 at 6:21 am

Are these still available?

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater