W. Gentry Avenue and NW 1st Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Following information comes courtesy of Joe Vogel,
"Checotah had a population of a little over 2,000 when the Gentry Theatre opened as the town’s second house in the spring of 1941, according to the May 31 issue of Boxoffice Magazine that year.
The Cozy Theatre was opened on April 16, 1913, but soon closed. A new Cosy Theatre opened on May 16, 1917. The only theatre in town at the time the 600-seat theatre was offered ‘For Sale’ on January 7, 1930. It was purchased by Johnny Jones. He then hastily remodeled an existing building into yet another theatre. Called the State Theatre, this 300-seat house lasted only a few months before being destroyed in a fire that also claimed five other businesses, according to the August 16, 1941, issue of Boxoffice.
In 1950, Jones partnered in the construction of the 69 Drive-In with Dick and David Crumpler, then operators of the Gentry Theatre. The Crumplers took over operation of all three theatres in 1952 when Jones moved to Arkansas." The Cozy Theatre closed on March 29, 1955 with Donald O'Connor in “Francis Joins the WACS”.
A People’s National Bank now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater