37-41 Ocean Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Victor Theatre opened on November 24 1923 with 750 seats. The opening films were Gladys Cooper in “The Bohemian Girl” and Betty Balfour in “Mord Em'ly”.
It was renovated in 1928 when Ozone Theatres took control and a 350 seat balcony was installed, bringing the seating capacity up to 1,000. The theatre was badly damaged by fire in January 1931, and it didn’t re-open until 21st December 1934 as the Ozone Theatre, when it had been given an Art Deco style.
It was taken over by Hoyts Theatres Ltd. in 1951, when it was listed with a seating capacity of 910. From 1960, it was on restricted opening times, and closed in the winter months in 1963.
The cinema was purchased by independent operators and re-opened as the Victa Theatre in 1970. New operators took over in September 1995 and the cinema was renovated and restored, being renamed Victa Cinema. It was twinned in August 1998. The former balcony screen now seats 286 and the former stalls screen now seats 297.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater