2 people favorited this theater
The Empire Palace Theatre was built for Richard Thornton, and was booked in conjunction with the Moss, Thornton, Stoll and Allen combine. It was designed by architects William and Thomas Milburn and was built in seven months. It opened on 13th December 1909 with a production of “The Toreador” performed by the West Hartlepool Amateur Dramatic Society. The following week on 20th December 1909, it commenced its career as a high class Vaudeville theatre. Seating was provided for 1,818, with 731 in the orchestra stalls, 244 in the dress circle, with the remainder in balcony and gallery levels. There were two large boxes located beside the proscenium at dress circle level, each had 16 seats. Also known as the Empire Variety Theatre, as the name implies, it was designed for variety shows. A Bioscope box was installed from the beginning, and films were screened as part of the programme from December 1909. In 1930, Western Electric(WE) sound sysem was installed, enabling the Empire Theatre to screen ‘talkies’ on a Sunday, when live theatre performances were not allowed.
Many famous stars appeared at the Empire Theatre over the years; Vesta Tilley, Albert Whelan, Gertie Gitana, Suzette Tarri, The Two Leslies, Wilson, Kepple & Betty, Monte Rey, Marjorie Mannors, Beryl Reid, Billy Bennett, Carrol Levis, Albert Modley, Hetty King, Jimmy James, Max Bygraves, Hutch, Henry Hall, Charlie Kunz Reginald Dixon, Phyllis Dixie, Sandie Powell, Eve Boswell, Frankie Vaughan and Des O'Connor to name but a few.
In early-1956, it was purchased by the Essoldo Cinemas chain and was closed for three months for refurbishment, re-opening on 2nd April 1956 as a luxury CinemaScope cinema, with a re-run of Yul Brynner in “King and I”. The gallery and balcony levels had been closed for cinema use. After that run, it returned to live theatre use, but this was short lived and the Empire Theatre closed on 8th August 1959. One final show was performed on 16th November 1959 when the West Hartlepool Amateur Dramatic Society presented “Carousel”. In 1973, the Borough Council purchased the building and it was demolished in 1975.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater