Mystic Theatre

112 E. 2nd Street,
Picher, OK 74360

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Mystic Theatre

At first I wondered if the Electric Theatre & Mystic Theatre might have been one and the same cinema, but research indicates this is probably not so.

The following news article, courtesy of a Ken Mc posting, provides more history on the Mystic Theatre;

"Miami (OK) News-Record on 12/27/45:

The Mystic Theatre of Picher, owned by J. D. Wineland since 1918, has been purchased by the Consolidated Theaters of Oklahoma, who are also the owners of the Plaza and Roxy theaters here. The Mystic Theatre will be closed for about 15 days to be re-decorated and for the installation of new equipment.

The Mystic Theatre will be managed by Jim Worsley, who is also manager of the Plaza Theatre and the Roxy Theatre."

The original Plaza Theatre was destroyed by fire on on December 23, 1945. The plaza name was transferred to the Mystic Theatre which reopened on February 10, 1946. It was closed on February 10, 1950 and was destroyed by fire on June 22, 1950.

Contributed by Johnny Cake

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on August 31, 2009 at 8:45 am

A link to the old Electric Theatre can be found here -
http://www.homestead.com/schehrer2/Picher32.html

seymourcox
seymourcox on June 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Due to toxic waste the entire town of Picher has now been bull-dozed under, nothing remains, not even a telephone pole.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on July 17, 2020 at 5:48 am

The Mystic Theatre launched on March 10, 1918 by J.D. Wineland and managed by C.A. Gordon. Based on little, it was likely opened temporarily in the location of the former Electric Theatre on South Columbus Street while the larger Mystic Theatre was being constructed. The Mystic likely moved to its new and expanded location at 12 East Second Street with 920 seats based on an article that says that patrons were wowed by the New Mystic at a grand opening on September 18, 1919. However, it may be the same building with a massive overhaul that simply still wowed its patrons.

Consolidated Theatres purchased the venue in December of 1945 which also operated the Plaza and the Roxy. It closed the Mystic for a refresh on December 23, 1945 and reopening it in January of 1946. On January 28, 1946, Plaza Theatre “#1” burned down so consolidated decided to move the Plaza nameplate to the larger, Mystic Theatre beginning with shows on February 10, 1946.

Video Independent Theaters reduced the town to just one theatre closing the Roxy in July of 1949 as the town’s economy was in decline. Unfortunately, the Plaza “#2”/former Mystic and the former Roxy were in the condemnation zone as the city feared a major cave-in at the Eagle-Picher Mining and Smelting Company. So the Plaza was closed for the final time prior to shows on February 8, 1950 making February 7, 1950 its final day of operation.

Video Independent fashioned a new theatre gutting an existing building one block east of the former Plaza. But during that construction, the second and vacant Plaza Theatre/former Mystic Theatre also burned down on June 22, 1950.

The third and final Plaza Theatre location in downtown Picher opened on July 12, 1950 although going out of business just over five years later in 1955. This entry should remain the Mystic Theatre to avoid confusion and because it was known as the Mystic for 30 years.

DavidAndrews
DavidAndrews on July 17, 2020 at 12:18 pm

The Mystic was located at 112 East Second, next door to the Winter Garden Theatre at 116 East Second.

http://www.cardinkids.com/KING%20JACK/Mystic.htm

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on July 17, 2020 at 1:26 pm

The Mystic Theatre launched on March 10, 1918 by J.D. Wineland and managed by C.A. Gordon at 112 East Second as Picher had become a boom mining town. It was said to have completely replaced the Electric Theatre building but – based on little evidence – it was likely opened using some element of the existing Electric Theatre. The Mystic closed within a year and was expanded and became an entirely new Mystic Theatre now with 920 seats based on an article that says that patrons were wowed by the New Mystic at a grand opening on September 18, 1919.

Consolidated Theatres purchased the venue in December of 1945 which also operated the Plaza and the Roxy. It closed the Mystic for a refresh on December 23, 1945 and reopening it in January of 1946. On January 28, 1946, Plaza Theatre “#1” burned down so consolidated decided to move the Plaza nameplate to the larger, Mystic Theatre beginning with shows on February 10, 1946.

Video Independent Theaters reduced the town to just one theatre closing the Roxy in July of 1949 as the town’s economy was in decline. Unfortunately, the Plaza “#2”/former Mystic and the former Roxy were in the condemnation zone as the city feared a major cave-in at the Eagle-Picher Mining and Smelting Company. So the Plaza was closed for the final time prior to shows on February 8, 1950 making February 7, 1950 its final day of operation.

Video Independent fashioned a new theatre gutting an existing building one block east of the former Plaza. But during that construction, the second and vacant Plaza Theatre/former Mystic Theatre also burned down on June 22, 1950.

The third and final Plaza Theatre location in downtown Picher opened on July 12, 1950 although going out of business just over five years later in 1955. This entry should remain the Mystic Theatre to avoid confusion and because it was known as the Mystic for 30 years.

robboehm
robboehm on July 17, 2020 at 3:36 pm

If according, to dallasmovietheaters, the temporary Mystic was located on the site of the former Electric, that would make it’s location as being on Main Street.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater