Latchis Theatre

51-61 Pleasant Street,
Claremont, NH 03743

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

A classic old-style theatre built by the Latchis chain, which also owned other theatres in Vermont and New Hampshire. Built sometime in the late-1920’s, this theatre operated at least until 1980, but probably closed some years after that.

Now closed, but the front part of the building looks in good condition as of 2009 photos – entrance is not boarded up. However, the facade is all that remains, the auditorium has been demolished.

Contributed by David A. Litterer

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on September 13, 2009 at 1:11 pm

In the 1942-43 edition of the Motion Picture Almanac, the Latchis in Claremont is, not surprisingly!, listed as part of the Peter D. Latchis theater circuit of Brattleboro VT. Latchis ran 14 theaters at that time, in NH, VT and MA.

TaxiManSteve on February 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Visited this theater, shortly before the “house” was demolished for a parking lot, as a reporter for a small weekly. Those touting demolition made their case. The interior was damp and had fungi and suffered water damage. The former owner dropped by during the press conference. He was none too popular with the citizenry present… As the Claremont Opera house is still hosting live acts at the city center, this theater was considered surplus in an industrial city that has seen better days. A parking lot replaced the “house.”

rsalters (Ron Salters)
rsalters (Ron Salters) on June 26, 2015 at 2:18 pm

The Theatre Historical Society archive has the MGM Theatre Report for the Latchis, it’s Card # 475. Address is Pleasant St. There is an exterior photo dated March 1941. Condition is Good. The report says that the theater opened about 1925 and was showing MGM films. There were 790 orchestra seats and 360 in the balcony, total 1,150 seats. Competing theater is hard to read but looks like “Magnet”; however, instead of making out a Report card for the Magnet, the MGM agent made one out for the Tremont Theatre. The 1940 population was 12,100.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater