Leon Theatre

608 S. Polk Street,
Amarillo, TX 79101

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

dallasmovietheaters on June 11, 2015 at 2:16 pm

The Leon Theatre launched June 29, 1942 after a freight delay caused a postponement of the scheduled June 26, 1942 launch. The Leon Brothers built the theater and had double-wide seats for “love birds and large persons.” Opening there was “The Bride Came C.O.D.” On July 21, 1942, the Leons would take on the Star Theatre and then they would take over the Rex for a modest portfolio in Amarillo and adding to their Texas holdings. A retail location for a jeweler, the Leons did a ten-year lease and the theater was remodeled back to retail usage.

ronnwood on October 21, 2013 at 2:16 am

Hub Clothiers purchased the old theater and adjacent buildings, remodeled them, and then operated a very fine store there for decades. The structure remained empty for about a decade after The Hub went out of business. Then it was all demolished and replaced with an ugly, flat, asphalt parking lot with room for maybe a dozen cars on Polk St.