Courter Theatre

211 N. Main Street,
Gallatin, MO 64640

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Courter Theatre was opened by 1927 and was a conversion of a motor garage. Seating was listed at 435. The building is in use today as the 3B Silversmiths. The theatre was located at the corner of the town square.

The Courter Theatre closed in 1956.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on December 16, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I believe we have this theater’s name misspelled. A Courter Theatre was in operation at Gallatin no later than 1927. The July 1, 1927, issue of Motion Picture News had this item :

“A Panatrope, produced by the Brunswick-Balke Collender Company, has been installed in the Courter Theatre, Gallatin, Mo., by Manager H. Courter.” (A Panatrope was a high-end Brunswick phonograph.)
Members of the Courter family were still operating this theater at least as late as 1949, when the house was mentioned in Showmen’s Trade Review. There is a reference to the Courter in Motion Picture Heralld in 1932 as well. There was also once a Courter Theatre in Hamilton, Missouri, presumably operated by the same family.

There is a live theater venue called the Courter Theatre in Gallatin today, operated by the Gallatin Theatre League, but in a different location than the old movie theater. The original theater might have operated past 1956, as well, as a company called Corter Theatre, Inc., since dissolved, was formed in 1965.

If the building currently showing in Street View was indeed the Corter Theatre, then the house was converted from an automobile agency’s showroom. This photo from the Daviess County Historical Society shows the building occupied by the Mead Ford dealership. It’s undated, but, judging from the cars, appears to have been taken around 1920.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater