Fine Arts Cinema
2451 Shattuck Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: The Cinema, Mitchell Bros. Cinema, Berkeley Cinema, Horizon Cinema
News About This Theater
- Jul 16, 2004 — Fine Arts Cinema Officially Dead
Originally an ice cream parlor, this theater was opened in the 1950’s by Pauline Kael (the famous film critic), who operated it for several years as the Berkeley Cinema. (No relation to the Berkeley theater, now since demolished.)
The film offerings were largely foreign films as well as film classics. One Japanese film in the 1960’s ran here for over one year! Declining attendance led the way to the Mitchell Brothers purchasing the theater and in January 1974, started running porn. In the mid 1980’s, the theater became the Fine Arts, showing arthouse fare.
In the 1990’s the theater was closed off and on until the current operators opened in 1998. The programming was largely independent film, documentaries, film festivals, and occasional revival product. Many of there films were seldom shown elsewhere.
The theater closed June 30, 2002 and was torn down.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.