81-91 John Bright Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Started in 1914, the project, originally called the Majestic, was delayed because of wartime restrictions. It was bought out uncompleted in 1916 and eventually opened as the Futurist Theatre on 30th July 1919 with Lilian Gish in "The Great Love". It was operated by Sol Levy and was the first cinema in Birmingham to have screen curtains. The auditorium was decorated with wall murals designed by Val Prince and carried out by artist Erskine Williams.
Always at the forefront of the city cinemas, the Futurist Theatre was the first cinema in Birmingham to present ‘talkies’ on 18th March 1929 when Al Jolson in “The Singing Fool” was shown after a Western Electric(WE) sound system had been installed. The Futurist Theatre was damaged by German bombs during an air raid on the city in November 1940. This closed the building for some time until repairs could be carried out and it re-opened on 20th April, 1943 with Loretta Young in “A Night to Remember”.
When the Grade Brothers took over the Shipman & King circuit in the late-1960’s, the Futurist Cinema became part of the S & K circuit. The Futurist Cinema was twinned, reopening on 26th November 1981 with screen 1 holding 721 and screen 2 seating 234. The re-opening films were Faye Dunaway in “Mommie Dearest” and a double bill Monty Python’s “Life of Brian” and “Airplane”. It later became a Cannon cinema and closed in the 1990’s.
After lying derelict for a number of years, it was transformed into an ‘adult’ nightclub known as Spearmint Rhino. It underwent a restoration/renovation and in July 2016 it was converted into a seafood restaurant named Peninsula Lobster.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater