World Theatre

21 S. Main Street,
Aberdeen, SD 57401

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

Opened as the Bijou Theatre and renamed Strand Theatre, it became the Garrick Theatre and in 1926 was renamed State Theatre. By 1937 it had been renamed Pix Theatre. By the mid-1940’s it had been renamed World Theatre with seating listed at 390. No info on owners/operators.

The theatre closed in April 1957. It was converted into a bar which was later destroyed by fire and was demolished. The site is now the home of the Dacotah Museum and the Library.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 26, 2010 at 9:16 am

Any info anybody?

Chris1982
Chris1982 on July 19, 2014 at 1:30 pm

The World opened as the Pix Thatre in 1937 with seating listed at 360. The World was still open in 1957.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 28, 2016 at 3:38 pm

According to a table compiled by downtown Aberdeen historian Don Artz (page 51 of this PDF), the house that was called the Garrick Theatre in early 1926 and became the State Theatre later that year was at 19 S. Main Street, and had earlier been known as the Bijou, then the Strand. After State, the house had three additional names: the Ritz, the Pix, and finally the World.

The house was listed as the Bijou Theatre in a 1916 city directory. According to this web page, this was the third location of the Bijou, the house having operated at two other locations beginning in 1906. In 1909 it moved into the building at 19 S. Main Street, just two doors down from the location at which it had first reopened (15 S. Main) in 1907.

The World Theatre closed in April, 1957. In 1960, the building was converted into a bar. It burned to the ground on July 1, 1973.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater