Laguna South Coast Cinemas
162 South Coast Highway,
5 people favorited this theater
The only movie house in this town known as an artists colony, this theater opened as the Lynn Theatre in 1923 at a cost of $12,000. It was erected three years before the Pacific Coast Highway, which it faces, was dedicated by Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks. An early photo shows a rather plain façade and it was the remodeling in 1935 that gave it a distinctive tower and small tiled courtyard. It still retains its stage that was equipped to put on large productions.
In 1937 it became the South Coast Theatre and remained independent until Pacific Theatres took over its operation in the late-1970’s. Edwards Theatres leased it in 1982, making it their 28th location. The auditorium was divided and refurbished including new seating and bathrooms.
The screens are small but elevated and the projection sharp, presenting an excellent view from every seat. The small balconies in each theater have 25 loges. Edwards relinquished its operation in late-2000 and in early-2001 it was taken over by Regency Theatres. Its program is filled with first-run movies and art films on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater