Whittier Village Cinemas
7038 Greenleaf Avenue,
9 people favorited this theater
A news account in 1931 reported that architect David S. Bushnell was preparing plans for a theatre, costing $90,000, seating 1,000 and to be leased to a theater chain. Because of the depression, according to the Whittier Historical Society, the lease was broken and the owner, Aubrey Wardman, ended up operating the theatre with the architect serving as the manager. The Wardman Theatre was opened in June 1932.
The Wardman Theatre remained independent except for a time beginning in the 1970’s when it was operated by Pacific Theatres and by early-1977 it was operated by Pussycat Theatres. The 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake nearly finished the theatre, but it was reconstructed with the original auditorium divided and more screens added by building an annex.
Its recently added stadium seating rises over the entrance to the old auditorium and the empty space below the risers has been converted to a video game arcade. Because a nearby Regal theatre closed, the independently operated theatre now has no serious competition.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater