St. Peters Theatre
646 King Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on King Street at the corner of Concord Street, in the Sydney inner-city suburb of Erskineville. The St. Peters Theatre was opened on 8th November 1927 on the site of the 1913 built Coronation Picture Palace. It was always an independent cinema, not tied to any circuit.
The St. Peters Theatre was closed on 11th June 1960 with “Up Periscope”. It was used as a kitchen fittings store, then a furniture store and finally a warehouse. By 1992 the interior had been gutted and in 1995 there were plans to convert into a 3-screen art house cinema, which didn’t materialise. By 2003, it had been closed-up and abandoned. It was put up for sale, the roof had been removed and the interior gutted, just leaving the four exterior walls standing. Plans were proposed to construct apartments within the shell of the building.
By March 2010, these plans had been carried out. There is an underground car park in the basement, for the use of residents. On the first floor in what was the circle foyer is a gymnasium. The ground floor entrance is in retail use as an arts shop.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater