Avenida 16 de September,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A commemoration plaque was laid by Enrico Carouso in 1919, at the start of construction of the Teatro Cine Olimpia. It opened on 10th December 1921, and the Teatro Cine Olimpia’s first programme was a stage presentation of “La Danza del Idolo” starring Griffith, El Maestro. As its name suggests, it was built for both stage and film use. The auditorium had seating in orchestra, circle and balcony levels. There were 14 boxes along the side walls, six at circle level and six at balcony level. There was an eliptical shaped proscenium and a large dome in the ceiling. The theatre was equipped with a 3Manual organ.
The Cine Olimpia was rebuilt to the plans of the original architect Carlos Crombe, re-opening in early 1941.
It was refurbished and reopened January 1968 with around 1,500 seats. For many years it was the oldest operating cinema in Mexico City.
Closed and unused in 2003.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater