Teatro Cheng Peng
23 Travessa do Matadouro, Distrito Central,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the historic centre of Macau, in a narrow street off the main Avenida Ameida Ribeiro. The Teatro Cheng Peng opened in 1875, and presented Cantonese opera. Seating was provided in orchestra stalls and circle areas, and there was a stage and dressing rooms.
In 1925, it was equipped to screen films and the first film screened was Lilian Gish in "The White Sister". It was one of the main cinemas in Macau during the 1940’s and 1950’s, but reverted back to staging Cantonese opera in the 1960’s.
It was renovated in the 1970’s, and given an Art Deco style. Films returned, but it became a 2nd run cinema screening ‘B’ movies and after over 20 years of bad maintainance, it was closed on 21st August 1992, when the air-conditioning sytem failed.
The building was left empty and unused for many years. When seen in March 2010, it was in use as a parking garage, with the interior decoration intact, but deteriorating.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater