No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon Theatre opened on 20th June 1938 with Sabu in "The Drum". The cinema was located at the bottom end of the High Street at the corner of Harefield Road, away from the town centre. It was one of the original Odeon Theatre’s built for the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd.
Designed by Keith P. Roberts of the Andrew Mather firm of architects. The front of the building contained offices. There was a square tower on the left of the facade, which had a slender fin feature, containing the Odeon name. Seating was provided for 1,215 in the stalls and 622 in the circle. Indirect lighting in the auditorium was contained in three bands on each side of the proscenium and laylights in the centre of the ceiling.
The Odeon was tripled in April 1976, with 650 in the former balcony auditorium and two mini screens in the rear stalls, each seating 140.
The Odeon was closed on 5th June 1982, with "The Empire Strikes Back" and “Star Wars” in Screen 1, "Quest For Fire" in Screen 2 and "One Few Over the Cuckoo’s Nest" in Screen 3.
The building was demolished in 1984, and a new two-screen Odeon was included in an office development on part of the site, opening in 1990. This too was closed in 2001, in favour of a new 9-screen Odeon multiplex in the town centre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater