Open Air Cinema at the Club de Recreio
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Open Air Cinema at the Club de Recreio was on the grounds of the Club de Recreio on Nathan Road on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong.Club de Recreio was a Portuguese sports club.
The cinema was probably managed by Mr.H.W. Ray of the Coronet[a cinema on the Hong Kong Island]for its members and residents of Kowloon.
An article published by the English language China Mail on 17th September, 1920 said that:"The attention of Kowloon residents is drawn to the advertisement which appears in another column of the open air kinema
performance announced by Mr.H.W. Ray of the Coronet, for to-morrow evening in the grounds of the Club de Recreio. The pictures selected are all first class and the projection is worthy of the Coronet management. Mr.Ray has purchased all new seats for his latest venture and a " good and comfortable" evening’s entertainment is
The films shown on 18th September, 1920 were Frank Keene’s “The Silver Girl”, and Harold Lloyd and cartoon comedies.
The Open Air Cinema also opened on 20th October, 25th October, 27th October, 29th October, 1st November, 3rd November and 5th November as advertisements of the Club de Recreio were posted on the English language The China Mail on
the above mentioned days.
The films shown at the cinema included Mrs. Vernon Castle’s “Stranded in Arcady”, Hamilton Revelle’s “An Enemy to Society”, Francis X. Bushman and Beverly Bayne’s “A Pair of Cupids”, Bessie Love’s “A Daughter of the Poor”, Francis
X.Bushman and Beverly Bayne’s “The Brass Check” and the final programme was “The Snow Birds” in 6 parts.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater