Capitol Drive-In

S. Monroe Street and Tram Road,
Tallahassee, FL 32305

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Drive-In Theatre field area

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Capitol Drive-In opened May 25, 1948 with June Haver in “Three Little Girls in Blue”. It reopened as the Drive-In on July 15, 1949. It was operated by Talgar Theatres Co. and had a capacity for 400 cars. In 1953 it was again renamed Capitol Drive-In. It had closed by 1975.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

irvl
irvl on August 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Actually, this theatre was the Parkway Drive In Theatre. The Capitol Drive In was on South Monroe Street at Four Points.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 26, 2010 at 6:18 am

PLEASE CHANGE ADRESS TO:

SOUTH MONROE STREET

ZIP

32301

Owned:

1961? Talger Theaters
1964-1968? Kent Theaters of Jacksonville Fla., Frederick H, Kent, President & Owner

Open 1950?
Open for sure in 1967
Closed by 1975
Screen burned down by late 1980's
Now a retention pond

Need a more complete address, more info, and photos.

rivest266
rivest266 on November 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

1967 aerial photo posted here.

jwmovies
jwmovies on September 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Approx. address for this drive-in was 3477 S. Monroe Street.

rivest266
rivest266 on January 14, 2017 at 9:09 am

Grand opening ad in the photo section and

Found on Newspapers.com

Tony Sullivan
Tony Sullivan on February 2, 2018 at 10:29 am

This theatre also opened earlier on May 25th, 1948 as the Capital Drive-In, owned by Frank Lewis and Bill Bailey.

Kenmore
Kenmore on February 2, 2018 at 12:51 pm

A closer address (at least for Google) is 3501 Woodville HWY, Tallahassee, FL. The retention pond where the drive-in once stood is just to the south of the address.

https://tinyurl.com/y9bx6so9

rivest266
rivest266 on February 2, 2018 at 2:03 pm

Here is the ad that Tony refers to:

Found on Newspapers.com

It had a reopening as simply “Drive-In” on September 16th, 1949 and started to use the Capital Drive-In name again in 1953.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater