817 S. Polk Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Paramount Theatre was opened April 20, 1932 with Charles Ruggles in “This is the Night”. It was just as the Depression was leaving its mark on Amarillo, which had feasted on the fruits of the 1920’s oil boom until the global crash caught up with it.
The Paramount Theatre was Amarillo’s premier first-run theatre for decades, but fell behind the multiple screen suburban complexes in the 1970’s, and closed March 20, 1975 with “Report to the Commissioner”.
It was gutted and converted to office space, but the Pueblo Deco style exterior is still as beautiful as ever. A hint of its grandeur can be seen in the second level of the parking garage that fills the old auditorium. The painted starburst ceiling is still intact, as is golden plasterwork that framed the top of the stage. The original chandelier and the giant blade sign from the facade have been preserved in a now-closed disco in the city’s warehouse district.
The sign was restored and place it back in its original location.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater